I’m obsessed with dessert stands and risers and platters. I’ve probably posted about a gazillion of them (okay exaggerating, but you get the point 😬) Some favourite posts include this statement platter…
..and these coloured vintage-looking glass ones
…as well as this shelf full of cake stands and other props! <drool>
These stands or risers are important in giving our dessert tables (See: How to DIY a Dessert Table) the element of height. Cakes and other treats in varying heights add to the visual impact of your spread. There’s a reason why we love skylines – buildings in different levels against the magnificence of the sky. The table treats are the buildings and the backdrop (See DIY backdrop ideas here and here) is the sky. Imagine if skylines were just flat. Wouldn’t you find it boring? 😱 The same holds true for your dessert tables. I still don’t have a cake stand or riser half as pretty as the ones I’ve shared above, but I’ve been creative with what I use. And you can be too! Check out these repurposed items that instantly became cake stands and risers!
1. An upside down anything. Like these baskets. See more of this party here.
2. Or a bowl flipped over! Just add a cute platter for a polished look! More of our hands on celebration here.
3. How about an upside down vase? These Ikea Skurar planters are so versatile! See what’s behind that frame?
4. Pretty looking crates perhaps?
5. & 6. Some books? Or a weighing scale! These were perfect for our kitchen-themed party! See more here.
7. Wood stumps are always classy!
8. The case that Coca-cola bottles come in for a diner-themed party. See more of this party here.
9. Candle-holders! Would you believe these cupcake holders were candle-holders?
10. Toys, toys, toys!
11. Drawers! See more of this party here.
12. Boxes: the wooden kind or those that you just dress up!
Gotta hand it to @mommy_gilsie who seems to have a creative solution for everything! • • • Repost: “Small cake? No problem! I wanted to create an illusion that we have huge cake so that it is visible and noticeable even from afar. But big cakes are costly so i got an old carton box, wrapped it with art paper, cut out some green paper to make a cactus, pasted white bond paper with black dots/clouds and whaaaLaaaa!! We have a huge cake 😂 well at least it looks big somehow. glad to recycle too.” #hmptips #cowboyparty A photo posted by DIY Party Inspirations Blog (@homemadeparties) on
Got your own DIY party to share? Click here to see how you too can be featured in Homemade Parties! Planning a DIY party? Visit our party supplies directory here. And if you need some more help with your DIY planning, join Homemade Parties’ DIY Party planning community in Facebook!