We’ve been doing new things in the blog and our community recently and hopefully you find them all exciting and refreshing! One of the things we’re doing this month is opening the blog to guest posts. We’re starting a new series called “Ask the Pro” where party professionals share some of their tips on anything party and crafty. First up is Maricel Mendoza of A Sweet Cottage, an Instagram-friend (we have yet to meet in person!😁) who I seem to be sharing the same passions with: family, parties and love for the color seafoam green! 😍 Read up and take a peek at her craft room and get some tips on organizing your craft spaces!
Hi everyone! This is Maricel Mendoza, resident blogger of A Sweet Cottage! I am thrilled to be here on Homemade Parties to share with you some tips on keeping your craft space organized.
As a person in the creative business, it is very important for me to have a place where I can wreak havoc while I make my party stuff. I really need a contained space where I have all my stuff together and can easily be accessed. I also love doing my own craft projects for myself and my family, and it is really convenient for me to have a good and organized space in the house as my craft room. I am grateful for this space and it really is my happy place!
Keeping the craft room in tip top shape is really a struggle. I always end up working in the midst of all the materials that I pull out. For some reason, I can work with this! Hahaha! But at times the mess really gets to me and it helps that I keep the mess at bay with these simple organizational strategies.
Sharing with you some ways to keep your craft things organized. It can help you work more productively and save time looking for stuff!
1. Keep like materials together. When I first had my craft room, my things were all over the place. I had about 6 pairs of scissors that were everywhere! One would be on the table, another would be in a drawer, another in the sewing box, and another in a box where I placed all the papers that I had cut. It always took me time to look for scissors that I needed for a specific cutting. Then I thought of keeping all materials that are the same in the same place. All scissors, all papers, all stamps and ink pads etc. together. This really made my life easier!
2. Sort and Label. It is very important to label your materials. This will easily make your space organized and will make it easier for you to look for the things that you need and put them back. Another plus is that using decorative labels will make your space look more fab!
3. Have everything where you can see them. I used to have my stuff in boxes on top of each other. It was difficult to look for things because I had to take the boxes down and open each one to find what I needed. Some days, I would be lazy to open and unbox, so I would just buy what I needed. A bad habit! This was not economical and just caused me to end up with more things that I don’t have space for!
4. At the end of the day, put back everything that you took out and used. To avoid having a mountain of things to put away, you just need to do it on a daily basis. I know that this is the least fun part of crafting, but it will just take a few minutes and you will be ready to craft again the next day! Be sure to clean your materials as well and throw away the trash. Having a clear table at the end of the day gives such a great feeling! 😃
5. Purge every 6 months. I learned this the hard way. I did not realize that I was continuously accumulating craft materials and was not taking out things to make space. I ended up with cramped shelves and drawers that were overflowing. The worst part was that I was wasting so much money buying things and materials that I already had! Because things were on top of each other, I did not realize that I already had most of the materials that I needed!
Every 6 months, go through each bin, drawer and shelf. Throw out the trash(ex: paper scraps, broken stuff, ribbons that are too short to use etc.), take out things that you know you will not be using anymore and give away, return things to their proper places. While going through each shelf, drawer or bin, take the time to organize the contents , this will save you time.
I hope that these simple tips will help you keep the mess at bay in your craft space! Have fun organizing and create the day away!